Got this from the Glenn Beck newsletter.
At first I thought this was being over hyped, a bit of exaggeration to make a point. Then I took the “quiz.” Wow. And this thing is aimed at kids!
According to this thing’s calculator, I should have dropped dead when I was 6.
There is so much wrong with this thing, that it’s hard to know where to start. But I’m game, so here it goes..
1. The quiz is ostensibly aimed at kids, 10-14 year olds. However the questions generally have no relevance to that age group. I mean really, how much does a 10-14 year old drive? How many make investments, buy their own clothes and food, or fly around?
2. The actual “math” behind the calculations is no where to be found. So we have no way of knowing how all the answers are weighted, or how the final result is determined.
3. The piggy graphics are cute, and obvious. The exploding pig at the end I thought was a nice touch. I may run through it again just to see that. Even so, it’s not exactly what I would call “kid friendly.” I’m sure that younger users will get updet at it.
4. This is located on the Australian Broadcasting Company’s official site. Nah, no media bias here. And something not backed up by facts? Nah, not in the world of mass media.
5. The main page has so much that even Global Warming nutters should find offensive. “Use our greenhouse calculator to find out when you should die!” Oh that’s a cheery way to encourage debate and eductae the masses. Sorry kid, you need to have dropped dead 4 years ago. “Get the dirt on greenhouse without the guilt trips. No lectures. No multinational-bashing (well, maybe a little…). Just fun and games and the answers to all your enviro-dilemas.” No guilt trips? HA! Guess they didn’t proof read their own site, or that “quiz.” “And don’t miss our in yer face ecards – reach out and offend someone you love.” Oh that’s another good idea. Let’s piss off those who can make the decisions, and get them to just blow you off.
This is such a sleezy act on the part of an institution that is supposed to be unbiased, and in the public interest. To target kids in this manner is reprehensible. And people say the left never plays the “fear card.”